4.12.2012

READ MORE




I think you might relate when I say that I often feel like I need to be a "trailblazer" of sorts - think of something no one else has thought of, make something no one has ever made, do something no one has ever done. And honestly, this sense of responsibility to be a "trailblazer" can be paralyzing at times as I turn inward to find that kick of genius. At times, it can be a fruitless struggle.

Let's just say that I'm thrilled to have re-discovered the magic of the library. I've come to truly appreciate through my time in the stacks just how many awesome people doing awesome things came before me/are working around me. If I want to be "trailblazer," I need to turn outward in addition to inward to know what paths have already been made and learn from what's being done around me. I forget that I do not and should not exist and work in a vacuum. This is something I'll say I've always known in the back of my mind, but really failed to take advantage of until very recently in my creative career. 

So, when I find myself with the glorious gift of "free time" these days, I make the short walk to the art library, peruse the shelves, sit my butt down, and devour book after book. For many of us college students, the library seems like a pretty grim place to spend one's free time; it's Senior Spring, I should be partying it up, getting drunk, reveling in the last of my glory days as an undergraduate. But as someone who discovered her passion late in the liberal arts game, I feel a pressing need to take advantage of the resources provided by Dartmouth and the time I have as a student to get the information I want and need before I graduate and enter the "real world."

It's crunch time! READ MORE!

Do you have any books you'd like to recommend?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips